Allegan General Hospital is a not-for-profit, acute care facility governed by a 11 member board of trustees. The original Allegan General Hospital was incorporated in May 1938 as the Allegan Health Center. It was financed by contributions from the County Board of Supervisors, the Kellogg Foundation, the Federal Works Agency, and individual subscriptions from the citizens of Allegan. The first Board of Trustees was comprised of several notable Alleganites--Earl W. Delano, Grover C. Cook, H.D. Tripp, George H. Horan, and E.W. Stone.